Sunday, May 07, 2006

Paris


"The other thing I have never understood about the French is why they are so ungrateful. I've always felt that since it was us that liberated them--because let's face it, the French Army couldn't beat a girl's hockey team--they ought to give all Allied visitors to the country a book of coupons good for free drinks in Pigalle and a ride to the top of the Eiffel Tower. But they never thank you. I have had Belgians and Dutch people hug me around the knees and let me drag them down the street in gratitude to me for liberating their country, even after I have pointed out to them that I wasn't even sperm in 1945, but this is not an experience that is ever likely to happen to anyone in France."

~Bill Bryosn, Neither Here Nor There, 42.

Although, I do remember being in an obscure little village and having a French man approach me and my friends. He was determined to use the English he had learned from watching Elvis Presley movies after the war.

1 comment:

G. F. McDowell said...

Not to be 100% contrarian, I think the French are simply anti-everything and everyone. That's all.