Wednesday, May 17, 2006

in response, part 3

Were my examples of ancient documentation of the life, ministry, death, and resurrection of Christ not sufficient? I get the feeling you did not even read my response.

Is this document of rotting fish sauce that you mention from the city of Jerusalem, Bethany, or Capernaum during the 3rd decade of the 1st Century A.D?

As for Muslims and Christians starving in Sudan and Ethiopia ... I believe the information you have received on the matter to be either ill-informed or false. I have a close friend who is in the region right now ministering. She is not there officially under the name of a Christian ministry because such aids of mercy are not permitted by the regional governments. Many have tried, only to be turned away. Years ago prominent Christian Aid ministries attempted to deliver food and shelter and medical supplies to the tribes you mentioned, only to have the food confiscated by the government and given to their armies. Thank God, for brave men and women, like my friend.

It's funny, but as I read your thoughts, Anonymous, I find myself nodding my head, thinking to myself, "I know! Isn't that horrible! How could people do such horrid acts in the 'name of Christ'?"

I believe a problem in our discussion is that you are equating medieval cultural Christianity with true, Scriptural Christianity.

It is appalling what popes and kings and misguided people have done in the name of the "church" and "Jesus". These were not Christian acts.

And you, as a student of history, ought to recognize that "religion" has often been used as a pawn in political gain. Men who in their everyday life could care less about spiritual things ... all of a sudden claimed "religion" as the source of motivation to go to war or manipulate the people. Politicians, today, even claim church membership to get a few extra votes.

Do I hear the name "hypocrite" echoing through the halls?

Indeed. Christ had a few choice words for those who hold tight to their religion to keep the upper hand, "brood of vipers" being one name that comes to mind.

And that's what I say of those who have claimed Christianity but have done evil deeds in the name of Christ. I believe that if Christ had come today, rather than 2000 years ago, popes, bishops, TV evangelists, and religious leaders would have picked up stones to stone Christ, as well. And why not, the Jews of the Old Testament killed the Prophets, messengers of their God.

Who does Christ say the father of hypocrites is?

John 8:39-47
39 They answered him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham's children, you would be doing what Abraham did, 40 but now you seek to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. This is not what Abraham did. 41 You are doing what your father did.” They said to him, “We were not born of sexual immorality. We have one Father—even God.” 42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. 43 Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. 44 You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. 46 Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? 47 Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God.”

As for the wars between Protestants and Catholics ... political and at times a matter of self-defense.

Anonymous, I fear our future conversations may be fruitless if we keep discussing "cultural" religion.

My faith is rooted in true Scriptual spirituality ... not the names and actions of kings and popes in the past. If they have done evil, they are not of the faith and I have no association with them.

If you wish to further discuss my beliefs, I ask that you keep it to questions about Scriptural faith and not religion.

Many of your questions about true Christianity might be answered by reading the Scriptures for yourself. I'd recommend beginning with Mark. After that if you're up for an intellectual challenge, Romans or James.

I'd like to discuss these more with you.

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

I've enjoyed the discussions...although I came in a little late to add my 2 cents. Bravo to you, Christine! No...Bravo to the King of Kings!The Lord is using you in a mighty way.

I left an interesting comment on "In response part 2." I just didn't want anyone to miss a couple of tremendous testimonies of true Christians.

God bless!

ckjolly said...

They were beautiful stories. Much like the ten Boom family. Thank you for sharing.