Sunday, July 16, 2006

can you touch your elbow with your tongue?


On the way back to Washington, when all the jokes ran out and all the songs had been sung I occupied the girls in my vehicle by attempting daring acts. This is how close we came to licking our own elbows.

None of the kiddos were very good at wiggling their noses ... no ... not all scrunched up or flaring your nostrils ... it's an art ... one simply moves her nose up and down ... much like when one wiggles his ears or eyebrows.

Then we tried to decide if there were in fact any words in the English language that rhyme with purple and month. If not, should there be and what definitions should we give such words. My favorite word suggestion thus far is "Flurple".

Towards the end even the adults were getting restless. Our group was split between two vehicles connected together only by the radio waves of our walky-talkies. It was at this point of the journey home that the occupants of the two cars decided to play "Count the State Licence Plates" ... Washington and Oregon didn't count ... but British Columbia was worth 5 points.

I dare say that the adults were much more eager in this game then the children. Fern (age 75 ... and my flatmate for the summer) took the competition into an all-out drag race fighting for the front driving position.

"Fern, you're going 85!"





5 comments:

Martha said...

I love the kiddos (oh, and you too, of course) trying to lick their elbows. Reminds me of a game my mother-in-law might play. She loves that kind of thing. WHen my husband was little, he and his siters ate watermelon sliced in circles. The rind went completely around each slice.

mike said...

"adults" lol

Priscilla said...

Too funny and cute!

Bethany said...

My Mom's been having the little kids at VBS try this all week! She thought it was great!

Anonymous said...

so i find myself sitting in the studio in the library, listening to a spanish Introduccion al Nuevo Testamento, not understanding a word (except for "tambien", which Hatfield said yesterday means "also") - and trying to wiggle my nose without flaring nostrils. How humiliating...