Sunday, April 16, 2006

Christ is risen! We are risen, indeed!



Resurrection

O God of my Exodus,
Great was the joy of Israel's sons,
when Egypt died upon the shore
Far greater the joy
when the Redeemer's foe lay crushed in the dust.
Jesus strides forth as the victor,
conqueror of death, hell, and all opposing might;
He bursts the bands of death,
tramples the powers of darkness down,
and lives for ever.
He, my gracious surety,
apprehended for payment of my debt,
comes forth from the prison house of the grave
free, and triumphant over sin, Satan, and death.
Show me herein the proof that his vicarious offering is accepted,
that the claims of justice are satisfied,
that the devil's sceptre is shivered,
that his wrongful throne is levelled.
Give me the assurance that in Christ I died,
in him I rose,
in his life, in his victory I triumph,
in his ascension I shall be glorified.
Adorable Redeemer,
thou who wast lifted up upon a cross
art ascended to highest heaven.
Thou, who as Man of sorrows was crowned with thorns,
art now as Lord of life wreathed with glory.
Once, no shame more deep than thine,
no agony more bitter,
no death more cruel.
Now, no exaltation more high,
no life more glorious,
no advocate more effective.
Thou art in the triumph [vehicle] leading captive
thine enemies behind thee.
What more could be done than thou hast done!
Thy death is my life,
thy resurrection my peace, thy ascension my hope,
thy prayers my comfort.

Arthur Bennett, ed., The Valley of Vision: a Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions (Edinburgh, Scotland: Banner of Truth, 1975), 86-87.

14 comments:

ckjolly said...

I LOVE this collection of prayers! The first time I read from it my insides almost exploded in excitement and praise for my Savior (an example of the dangers involved of keeping one's emotions in check during worship, maintaining an austere presence on the outside but joyously, mentally flailing one's arms, dancing in praise! ... sort of like supressing a sneeze, you might blow your brains out.).

Craig Schwarze said...

Yeah, I'm just getting into the Puritans seriously myself. Finished Baxter's *Reformed Pastor* a couple of weeks ago. Mentally preparing to tackle "Death of Death" at some stage...

G. F. McDowell said...

Welcome back to the blogosphere. Was that a Lenten blogfast?

Kenan said...

Welcome back, Hnat.

The Puritans are great; thanks for posting this prayer.

ckjolly said...

How are you preparing yourself, Craig? Is it comparable to those who prepare to climb Mt. Everest? Are you only preparing mentally? Because, in my opinion, that's not enough. If you're to tackle Owen's "Death of Death," you also need to have the physical stamina of a medal winning tri-athelete and the emotional wherewithall to make it through the Passion of Christ without weeping. However, blessings be upon you if you think you have what it takes.

As for myself, I read a portion of it for a church history course and ... PCHFFFffffth ... drip drip drip ... my brain exploded and began to leak out of my ear. I hope the same doesn't happen to you.

Craig Schwarze said...

Hmmm...you've scared me off.

Maybe next year...

K.C. Sola said...

I love the Valley of Vision!

Craig Schwarze said...

You should check out these guys - you would like their stuff - http://teampyro.blogspot.com/

Craig Schwarze said...

Ok, someone suggest something mid-way between Baxter and Owen...

Stephen Newell said...

John Bunyan or Thomas Brooks.

I'm reading both of their books on prayer in personal study right now, and Brooks' book "The Secret Key to Heaven" is kicking my tail from pillar to post. I love it. In fact, I wish that I'd read this one before I started reading Bunyan's "Prayer." I actually put down Bunyan once I realized Brooks naturally led to Bunyan.

Craig Schwarze said...

Actually, I'm re-reading Pilgrim's Progress at the moment. I haven't read anything else of Bunyan's so I'll have a look at "Prayer".

Never heard of Brooks, so look forward to checking him out too...

Lorie said...

Christine,
I can't WAIT to see you doing this at church:

"...joyously, mentally flailing one's arms, dancing in praise!"

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. So feel free! :)

Lorie said...

Oh, but I don't mean "mentally". I want to see the real thing...

ckjolly said...

like David?

ha ha ... actually I had quite a reputation one year when my friend Jeanna and I were camp counselors at our annual youth camp in the Swiss Alps ... that's when SKA was big ...