Tuesday, June 21, 2005

greenbean soup for dessert

“No, I don’t think I can make it to the Tulip tonight. My roommate is making an authentic Chinese dinner for me tonight.”

Anna and I hadn’t been in the same room longer than fifteen minutes since I arrived. I leave each morning at 9 a.m. and rarely get back home before 10 or 11 at night. So I promised her when she asked if she could cook for me that tonight I would come home early.

When I walked in the door at 8:15, I was pleasantly surprised that company was joining us. It was a girl from the States who had been trained to sing opera in Montreal, Quebec. She had been teaching English the past six months in Brno, the second largest city (or village) in the Czech Republic. Together she, Anna, and I sat down to a feast of spicy transparent noodles and a fried beef, mushroom, and lettuce mixture (was that a hint of peanut butter I tasted in the sauce?).

“Would you like dessert now, Christine?”

There’s dessert, too?

Anna went over to the fridge and pulled out a watery substance in a large clear bowl.

“Mmmm, what is it?”

“Greenbean Soup. I think it needs sugar.” She took a bag of sugar and began to pour a good 3/4 cup of sugar into the soup. As she put away the sugar, I took the ladle and served the soup into three bowls. As the ladle disturbed the soup’s contents I recognized barley and tiny green peas floating around.

It tastes just as you would imagine cold greenbean soup would taste like. Although I never would have picked it off a dessert menu, I must admit that I found it rather refreshing, a nice complement to a hot summer evening.

No comments: