Monday, January 17, 2005

finding love at register 2

On Saturday, I stopped by Publix on my way home from work.  Feeling a bit ill, I was in need of some knock-out medicine and soup.  While I was inline, a guy started talking to me ...

"How are you today?"

"I'm okay ... well, not really ... I've sort of been hit over the head with a cold."

"I can see that ... hmm, soup mix and benadryll.  Don't worry, I'll take care of you."

"No you won't.  You never do.  It's always empty promises.  Besides you're working."

Yes indeed, dear readers, the high school kid running the register was offering to see me through this sickness.

"Well, I would if I could.  I would make you soup and bring you flowers."

"Ah, that's so sweet."

"Don't worry, I'm sure someone will bring you flowers anyway."

"Ha, yeah!  One day!"

I like Publix.  The commercials are right.  The employees ARE nice!

I'm not sure how I caught this nasty little bug.  It wasn't around the night before when I went to go see Phantom of the Opera (which is going nationwide this week everyone ... a "must see" of the season!).  Stepping out of my comfort bubble ... I thought I might actually ask someone to go see this movie with me (Jenn, my roomate, doesn't quite get why I go to movies by myself... not to mention the occasional restaurant!).

Hello, my name is Christine.

Hi, Christine.

I go to movies by myself.

Well, out of everyone I knew, I gambled on Rebekah.  In the end, we had a jolly ol' time ... all eight of us.  I'm fairly positive that most of the guys in the group weren't fully aware of what they were getting themselves into when they agreed to go see a movie with us that night.  But Lindsey was enamored with the music ... and Forrest appreciated the glamorous scenic design ... i'm not quite sure that John quite grasped the whole plot, however ... but nonetheless, culture had been administered.

and then ...

The next night we all watched Napoleon Dynamite.

It's not the first time I've been accused of being bi-polar.

And you know what?!!  It's still funny the fourth time around ...especially when watching it with a group of people who haven't seen it before.  We're starting a chapter of Napoleon's Groove here in Savannah. Friday nights, pop in the dvd, and learn from the master himself.

"Our love is like a flock of doves, flying up to heaven above. I love technology, not as much as you, you see, but I still love technology ...always and forever!"

No comments: